Log in

No account? Create an account
30 June 2008 @ 04:42 pm
Weird Canadian Question  
What do Americans call a 'tuque'? I'm pretty sure it's a uniquely Canadian word and as I was fic writing today, I suddenly realized I didn't know what an American would call it. Knit cap? Winter hat?

This would be an excellent time for me to use a due South icon. However, I don't have one. I shall have to rectify this...
Current Mood: sillysilly
Current Music: A Man Like Me - Robert Downey Jr.
donutsweeper: Murraydonutsweeper on June 30th, 2008 08:54 pm (UTC)
I can't think of a specific word for it. Knit cap works, but so does winter hat. Sorry for not being much help.

I'd never heard of the term tugue before.
The Writer They Call Tay: RJ: Juliette balconawanderingbard on June 30th, 2008 09:08 pm (UTC)
No worries. Tuque is a French-Canadian word and, as far as I know, isn't used outside of Canada. We have lots of words like that. Eavestrough, duo-tang, poutine, allophone. C'est le fun!
donutsweeper: Quantum Coffeedonutsweeper on June 30th, 2008 09:10 pm (UTC)
ooh, seeing what featherjean said, I'd go with ski cap- it hadn't occurred to me but that's a good term for it
Human Collaborator Flunkie Pool!fic Musejoyfulfeather on June 30th, 2008 08:55 pm (UTC)
That's a ski cap. :) Knit cap would probably work, too, but ski cap is the first thing that comes to mind, and googling that yields very similar pictures.

"Beanie" is also acceptable!

Edited at 2008-06-30 08:55 pm (UTC)
The Writer They Call Tay: DW: Rose cutieawanderingbard on June 30th, 2008 09:03 pm (UTC)
Ski cap! That's a good descriptor. Thanks! It's so weird what you realize you don't know. :-)
AngiePen: SeanB Um -- Tarnished_Ravenangiepen on June 30th, 2008 10:45 pm (UTC)
See, to me, a "beanie" is that little skull-cap thing, solid fabric rather than knitted, which some little kids wore in comic books 50+ years ago. See also "propeller beanie," if there was a propeller on top.

Angie in California, who couldn't resist a "Beanie" icon ;)
The Writer They Call Tay: Firefly: Kaylee cuteawanderingbard on July 1st, 2008 04:36 am (UTC)
That's what I would consider a beanie too, almost like a skullcup. But it is never the wrong time for a Bean icon. :-)
The other Weird Alaeron_lanart on June 30th, 2008 10:05 pm (UTC)
In the UK it would be a beanie. The ones with pom poms might get called a bobble hats and the ones with ears would be ski hats.

The Writer They Call Tay: DW: come with Nineawanderingbard on July 1st, 2008 04:37 am (UTC)
Bobble hats, that's cute. It's odd. Here, tuque pretty much covers any hat you put on your head for warmth and elsewhere there are all sorts of different words.
Quicksilvermad: Harry-hoodlum [KKBB]quicksilvermad on June 30th, 2008 10:36 pm (UTC)
Here in Virginia, we call that a beanie.
AngiePenangiepen on June 30th, 2008 10:42 pm (UTC)
Knit cap, knit hat. I wouldn't think of "ski cap" but then I've never skied, nor lived anyplace where it snowed in the winter. Context also matters -- I made a couple of those when I was a kid learning to knit, and if you tell someone, "I knitted a hat!" you don't have to add any adjectives. :)

zee on July 1st, 2008 12:52 am (UTC)
I grew up (in North Carolina) calling that sort of hat a toboggan. Don't ask me how that came about, but the dictionary says we didn't make it up.